Squirrel's Garden

Blogging the highs and lows of my attempts at allotment gardening

Name:
Location: Sherwood Forest, United Kingdom

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Assault on the Problems Behind the Shed

Today we went to the allotment to see what we could do about the problems with rubble that
hide behind the shed.
It was bitterly cold and it took a lot of effort to drag myself away from the central heating and out into the cold, damp air.

This is the problem I am confronted with. Some of the slabs of, rubble impacted, concrete are too heavy for me to lift, and even the weilding of a sledgehammer is having little impact on it. My partner came to help me out but it was clear it would be an extrememly arduous task that would take more than our combined strength to break it up into manageable pieces.

Time to make use of the shed for that cup of coffee to kick start the brain into forming a plan B.

The digital camera let us have an outside view whilst sitting out of the drizzle.



This is behind the shed looking towards
the east. The green shed is my neighbours

It is approx 18 feet long and 6ft wide to the edge of the decked patio.

As the shed is 10ft long there is only 7 or 8 feet at the front of this picture that would have sunshine for most of the day.





This is the western end of the strip which borders onto my other neighbours plot.
At the moment it is a root/weed infested area that has been a compost bin at some point in its life. The top layers though hide a hidden stack of broken glass, metal fittings from various pieces of household items, plastic bags, unwanted or forgotten garden chemical containers that are no longer identifieable apart from the smell when opened. I am working my way down the pile to remove these items.



Plan B in action


The problem is not really dead but it is buried. The heavy slabs were rolled into the corner and the rest of the rubble piled on top. My intention is to wait and see what wild plants grow on this and perhaps help out with ground hugging sedums etc to hold the soil together. Hawthorn and Blackthorn will be planted along the front of the metal sheets in the hope of establishing a hedgerow. I also have a field maple, a rowan, and a hazle which will be incorporated into the hedge to give it more wildlife appeal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home