Squirrel's Garden

Blogging the highs and lows of my attempts at allotment gardening

Name:
Location: Sherwood Forest, United Kingdom

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Highs and Lows of Allotmenteering

This has been a week of highs and lows.


We arrived at the site early Saturday morning in time to see the tractor pulling off our plot. He had ploughed from left to right in order to pull out the sideways slope and level the ground for me. The slight downhill slope is a feature of the land but my sideways slope had been a result of repeated ploughing in one direction.
Having ploughed 2 other plots he left only to return 30 mins later. He had gone home to remove the plough blades and returned with a Dutch harroing thingy on the back which he promptly ran up and down my plot breaking down the clods and levelling it even more. I was thrilled with the result. My only disappointment was that I had left my camera at home.
Freezing cold but I had to replant the fruit shrubs that had been pulled out of their heeled in position to make room for the plough.


Sunday was spent marking out the rest of the fruit beds and permanently planting most of the fruit shrubs. I still have to position the stakes for fruit training but for now I have staked the apples. I also marked the asparagus bed and double dug it. There is so much couch grass that I will have to redo it before the crowns are delivered in two weeks time.

Monday was like having a day off. The weather was little above zero degrees. We did find a metal cabinet for the shed which will double as a table and storage. Engineered some help to lift it into the shed but when we arrived on site I was told that there had been an inspection of the field hedgerow following my concern about the rubbish thrown over the allotment boudaries by some members (especially the former tennant of my own plot)
Profuse apologies forwarned me that I was now left to deal with the rest of the former tennants rubbish.
can't seem to upload photos today so I will try again later

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home